[CAUT] deterioration from aging

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 14 00:28:38 MDT 2010

Hi Susan.

I'd have to say yes, the climate can/does get into the picture to be
sure.  So does handling.  I'm not sure I buy into the <<lets blame the
factory>> bit... tho to be sure if an instrument is poorly assembled its
not going to do well over time. Otherwise I'd have to echo Ed's
response. The instrument will loose some of its power. Piano sound
simply jumps out in the most vibrant and wonderful of fashions when the
board is at its peak... this slowly disappears. To compensate you have
to voice down carefully to get a similar overall quality of sound. If
you dont... they sound as if you are overdriving the acoustic box as it
were.

Careful voicing down can yield a beautiful sound, but at a lower overall
response level. We have two examples here in town that illustrate both
age and handling very well. The orchestra instrument I just posted
sounds really quite delightful. And in a smaller hall could be quite
satisfactory for just about any use. But as a recital instrument... or
for a concerto it just wouldn't cut it.  Then we have a newer instrument
out at a location just south of town. It has had extremely aggressive
string seating sessions done to it by one of those techs who believes
you have to mash the strings into the bridge/bridge pin interface and
kink the string around the pin. This instrument is very difficult to get
to come clean. The fellow in reality put about 30 years of use on to it.

Its not just the compression strength in the soundboard itself that
starts to weaken with time.  The acceptance at the bridge also
deteriorates, as does the preciseness of the front termination. These
latter two can be addressed relatively easy while restringing an
instrument...  but there is nothing you can do about the soundboard
compression.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi, Ric

    I looked at the subject line, and assumed it was talking about us.
    <sick grin>

    Do you feel that the time schedule for concert pianos leaving their
    prime might depend partly on the climate they find themselves in? Or
    just the amount and kind of playing and maintenance they receive?

    Susan