[CAUT] deterioration from aging

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jun 12 10:58:14 MDT 2010

Its my experience that fine concert grand pianos are at there best (in
general) during the first 5-6 years of their life. I'd also say that in
general pianists seem to prefer a piano that has had a playing in
period. As far as when deterioration begins, I suppose you need to
closer define what you mean by the word... but in the context of the
post that prompted your query I'd say no... that kind of
performance/response deterioration begins after 5-6 years or so... give
or take a year or two depending on the instrument. You can call me Ric
btw... Mr. Brekne... grin... nobody calls me that.

Cheers
RicB

    Some folks believe stringed instruments improve tonally for at least
    a while after they're built as the strings settle and the wood
    flexes (and before they inevitably begin to deteriorate). Does Mr.
    Brekne mean that pianos are at their prime when fresh out of the
    factory, and deterioration begins almost immediately? Or do they
    need to be 'played in' to sound and feel at
    their best?
    Laurence