[CAUT] Steinway extra-bore-length

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jun 3 22:01:27 MDT 2010

On Jun 3, 2010, at 9:46 PM, David Love wrote:

>  I don't think the felt knows if the needles
> go in slow or fast.  The problem occurs when it takes five shallow
> stabs for
> each deep one.

I agree to a point, certainly about the shallow and deep stabs. Those
shallow stabs cause a lot of damage, on the surface where it really
makes a negative difference. But I also think that the felt reacts to
a stab of the needle somewhat as it does to a harder blow against the
string, becoming stiffer and more resistant. So it is a question of
additional speed of thrust, sudden impact, and that the felt fibers
are reacting to a more sudden blow by becoming more stiffly aligned
with one another. Perhaps on a microscopic/molecular level it is
something in the realm of electrical bonds. Also on the mere fact of
speed, not allowing the fibers time to spread in reaction to the
insertion.
	In my imagination, as I visualize it, it is somewhat like wet sand on
the seashore, right next to the waves. When you walk slowly, your
heels and soles sink in, it feels soft. When you run, the sand feels
hard, and your feet don't make much of a print. I think felt acts in a
similar way. Could be wrong, of course, but this is in line with why
hammers make a different sound profile when they strike the strings
faster - they become denser and harder.
	When I stab, I seem to hear more tearing, and feel it too - though it
is harder to feel what is happening with a stab. I grant, though, that
very much depends on the precise technique used, and a careful stab
technique could well be little different from press in results. It
would partly depend on exactly what speed of stab - as you increase
velocity, you are bound to increase tearing versus spreading, or so I
visualize it. I rarely see a truly controlled stab technique - to my
eye, it looks far more chaotic and random than what I do. But I am
sure there are people with more skill than what I have seen.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm