[CAUT] Steinway extra-bore-length

Peter Sumner petersumner at mac.com
Thu Jun 3 19:22:40 MDT 2010

Fred...have you seen Andre Oorebeek's book 'voice of the piano'.....his techniques are what I learned back in the mid eighties in the UK...I sold Schimmel in my store and a visiting German technician used the same 20 to 35 blow method in the shoulders...at that time I hadn't seen a Steinway NY style hammer....and as a result I had to re-learn my approach when I started to work on NY pianos....mostly delicate crown work now...but I have found using Andre's techniques have enabled me to 'open up' the tone of a few pianos with 'hard pressed' hammers in Hamburg Steinways, Mason and Hamlin, Yamaha's, Schimmels, Estonia and a few others...but 95% of the instruments I see are NY S & S grands.
Perhaps, if you get the chance to either read the book or see the DVD you could let me know what you think of that approach.

Best
Peter