[CAUT] Knuckle Direction

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Jun 1 22:46:57 MDT 2010

Ron,

Sometimes you think way too much...

Then there's the "swirl" found in all hides.
Heck, let's sell the center of that stuff
as the best of all possible worlds.<G>

Actually, after I read your post I was dumb enough to go
grab a hide I have, pull on it to find the stretchy direction and feel
for nap. Someone walked by the door just then and gave me a weird look.

Jim

p.s. I was told that the stretchy direction of hide on knuckles
must be perpendicular to the jack movement or the jack
would stretch it out too much.

That's in line with my experience, but the nap with the letoff
argument makes sense, if it is indeed noticeable by mortals.
I've only replaced a couple of sets of knuckles without new
shanks, so I don't have realistic comparisons. New shanks, the
knuckles are what they are, and there are plenty of other
sources of aggravation to be had without splitting that hair.

How about orienting the nap perpendicular to the shank? Why
not? Something I've wondered a time or twelve, but never
chased down (there've been other diversions), is how the
surface nap relates to the stretch direction. Leather
stretches in one direction. but not at 90° from that. Are
knuckles covered "stretch" around the curve, or perpendicular?
I know, I could (and will) look into this myself, but I'm
tired at the moment, and curious what the state of the
information is among the other worker bees, if any. This may
be something everyone already knows, but I don't, and would
like to fill in the hole. Any real information out there on this?
Ron N