[CAUT] Steinway extra-bore-length

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Tue Jun 1 21:43:17 MDT 2010

A week or so back,  Jon Page mentioned the correct method of calculating
hammer-bore length.

Thanks for that Jon, it's the same method we use, excepting where the
hammers are deliberately pitched, but here's a funny story from a few
years... okay, a decade ago:

I was preparing hammers for a 1980's D and found that bore length worked
out about 3mm (1/8th) longer than spec. Since we tend to buy our hammers
un-trimmed and extra-length, it was no problem to bore them with plenty
of tail length. As a caution, I tested samples on the bench and all was
fine. Fine... until installing the action that is.

The action wouldn't fit back in the piano... even with the shanks buried
in the cushions, no deal! (that was the chuckle part, the rest is pretty
boring, but I do have a question)

So, we thinned the cushions and even shortened the balancier height
adjustment screws. All worked wonderfully, and /three years later/ I
repeated the dimensions with the next set of hammers. /

Three years later again/, I was pressed for time and ordered some
pre-hung aftermarket hammers. The supplier was quite adamant that the
hammers be bored to original spec, even though this would result in
over-strike. Knowing I had room to push the action back (return to
factory position), I went along with their advice, even though it meant
replacing cushions, etc.

Now it is /"three years later" yet again/, and time for fresh hammers.

I really like the idea of the hammers being at right angles to the
string, and the shanks horizontal at strike, which is the result we get
with Jon's measurements. However, I wonder about the implications of the
extra-long bore... aside from the need to get the action in and out of
the piano that is.

Raising the stack (3mm) would take care of things, but this is really a
very efficient action, and I neither want, nor see a need to tamper with
that. What's more, I can't say I really noticed a difference in
performance with either bore dimension.

The Question:

So, what are the rest of you (and Jon) doing in this situation, and why?

thanks,
Mark Cramer, RPT
Brandon University