[CAUT] beginning torque

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 08:47:17 MDT 2010

For drilling pin blocks, I am re-evaluating the drill bit size and procedure
that I have been using.   The last few blocks I have done were composite blocks
multi-lam with 9 mm delignit cap.   I am double drilling with 1/4" then an F bit
at about 2340 spindle speed, usually yields about 160 in. lbs. for the sample
pins that I try in a scrap piece of the block. I would like to get about 180 but
I can't get that with the F bit.    By the time I get coils just right, chip and
tune for a year, the torque is not as high as I would like.      I have a block
in the works now (already drilled the 1/4" hole)  and I am going to get a 6.5.
mm bit today and try that on a sample.  I got a new drill press after my last
one seemed to have too much slop in the quill  but the repair people said it was
within specs.  I just got a table top delta.  I am keeping the humidity in the
shop now in the low 40's.  (The block itself stays in a 35 % rh environment when
not being worked on.)

What beginning torque do you like to see?   How much do you expect it to drop in
the initial stages?

Bob Hull