[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up) - filing, ProgressReport

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 28 06:09:56 MDT 2010

Action saturation.
As the pianist plays harder, the action parts flex more, so that eventually
the force delivered to the string is determined by the whipping movement of
the parts rather than the speed of the stroke to the key. The acceleration
of the hammer has reached its peak. The pianist plays harder, but the only
sound that gets louder is the thump to the keybed.
The long keys in a 9' piano are the most flexible. Because of the round hump
of the accelerated action at the balance pin, the key must be thinner,
therefore more flexible. Keys will become more flexible with age.
Sometimes it is possible to add reinforcement to the keys.
ES