[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 20:42:07 MDT 2010

>Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:15:51 -0600 From: Fred Sturm < fssturm at unm.edu > wrote:
> Just to be thorough, the foundations should be examined: travel,
square of hammers, and mating. It is not at all unusual for bass
hammers to lose a lot of power and focus from mating issues, and
bichords are often quite badly out of level (not to mention that if
the hammers are hung at an angle intentionally, that will cause a
mating issue). Also, bass sections tend to be the worst for having
travel that all goes in some direction, and hammer angles that are
likewise all slanted (and not necessarily the right way, or too much
the right way). Among other things, this leads to a bit of brushing of
hammers (maybe just the loose fibers, and you can't see it) with their
neighbors.
> All these little things together can add up to a lot of mush and lack
of power and focus.

Thank you, Fred, for the reminder. Margie did all of that before we started in on the voicing... We will recheck all that before we go on, though.

Israel Stein