[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up)

Wiliam Ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Tue Jul 27 08:14:35 MDT 2010

On Jul 26, 2010, at 9:37 PM, Ed Foote wrote:
> If not, anyone have any experience with using acetone or denatured
> alcohol (ethyl/methyl alcohol  mixture) to dilute collodion (which
> - from what I see on some websites - is theoretically possible)?

Collodian is one of the early forms of nitro-cellulose: guncotton
dissolved in ether (the volatile) and alcohol (probably to thin the
above mixture). It has been used since the Crimean War for "instant
bandaids", providing a flexible film which bonds well to human skin
and to attach and stiffen wound dressings.

As to why the Europeans prefer it, probably because they don't have
to buy their nitro-cellulose in 1 gallon cans at the paint store as
we do, but a few ounces at a time, at a pharmacy.

The salient feature is probably the flexibility of the resin. (Who
wants a felt fiber coated with something rigid and brittle?) Ed's
suggestion of sanding sealer lacquer probably is the closest we'll
get to this. The top-coat lacquers have been formulated for the
performance on the film under rubbing and polishing by finishers,
with no interest in hop it performs in reinforcing felt piano hammers.

mrbl