[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jul 26 22:06:30 MDT 2010

On Jul 26, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> First try needling in the very low shoulders, what Andre Oorebeek
> calls "the battery."
> Not guaranteed, but I was recently very surprised to find that
> sometimes it makes a big difference.
> ES

I agree, and not just into the lowest shoulders. DEEP needle,
individual needle, more than 10 mm long, heading from anywhere below
3 / 9 o'clock into the area of felt near the molding, angling towards
the point of the molding (not passing above that point). It depends
what has been done before, and what kind of hammers they are to begin
with, but these should be a good candidate. Try 2 - 4 insertions on
each side of the molding, listen. Also feel what is happening - how
much resistance to the needle, how stiff it feels in there. If you are
getting more of what you want, and if there is plenty of resistance
(which I would expect), do more insertions. This procedure can give
considerably more focus and power. Not always, but more often than not.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm