[CAUT] Re Retesting

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 18:19:16 MDT 2010

Whether you call it retesting, recertifying, or continuing education, the question is not if it can be done, but what effect this will have on our membership.

ASE rectification and continuing education is needed, as are CPA's, Nurses,etc, not only for government requirements, but also because employers look for members who are recertified and have the continuing. These employers recognize the importance of having certified people do the work. But in our industry, for the most part, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Because of PTG marketing efforts, there is a small up tick in the number of new RPT's, but the primary reason most Associates upgrade is still for personal satisfaction, not because they think they will get a better job, or they will get more customers. And the main reason why more colleges and universities are not asking, much less requiring, RPT's, is a lack of knowledge. As we have just seen, the music department of a major university, which is an all Steinway school with over 140 pianos, is not requiring the applicants to be an RPT.

Before we go to the trouble of recertifying, which in itself should not be that difficult to do, we want to make sure the RPT's are willing to do the work. One way they will do that is when universities, schools, churches, dealers, and the general public, starts asking for their credentials. But these institutions won't start asking until they understand it is in their best interest to do so. And the only way they will do that is for the PTG to educate them.

In other words, the PTG needs to do a much better job of promoting who we are, along with developing a better continuing education program for it's members, which shows we do care about advancing the art of piano technology.

Just my 3 cents worth.( Cost of living is higher in Hawaii).

Wim

-----O
riginal Message-----