[CAUT] pushing pianos

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Jul 24 18:18:15 MDT 2010

Hey Fred -
All good points, and, ultimately, I'm sure you're right.  Alan's
description did leave considerable leeway for the
imagination.    There still seems to be something different between
the "inordinately long distance" and moving a piano around on the
stage or into a storage area.  In fact, even with the latter, the two
issues are: a) technique, and b) mind set.  By that I mean that it
may be one thing to understand what's to be done, and another to have
that Navy-like obsessiveness that defines way a true stage
professional does his job.  The moment those young pianists or
percussionists put their hands on a piano to move it, they are not
musicians, or future anythings...they are stagehands.

Fred, I'm curious about one thing you said:We don't have staff on hand
>supervising and available at all times

Why is this an acceptable model?  Why does this situation seem built
into the system?  What would the university do/change if some
significant accident did transpire, involving a student?   And is
this the norm, or do other institutions make more of an effort to
control the movement of pianos?

I wonder if Alan could establish a minor in piano moving.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY
Thanks for the Brecht