[CAUT] Workload; was Position announcement

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sat Jul 24 17:59:03 MDT 2010

This topic got off track about the value of being an RPT. My main point was originally about communicating with music departments. The information that needs to be sent to music schools is not just that they need to hire RPT's. That in itself should be mentioned. But what should be the main focus in the information we send to music schools is what we have been complaining about, and that is the workload and pay scales of full time piano technicians.

We all agree that for the most part, schools don't have a clue how many piano technicians it takes to properly maintain a fleet of pianos. As someone mentioned earlier, a piano professor sees a full time piano tuner with 1000 clients, and thinks that a school with a 100 pianos should a couple of weeks worth of work. This is why the PTG needs to send out the work load formula, with an explanation of why one technician can properly take care of only 70 - 80 pianos. Along with that, the PTG needs to explain why a full time piano technician needs to make a minimum of $45,000 - $50,000.

This is the kind of information that music schools need to be given, again, not just once, but several times a year for a period of 5 or 6 years, or longer, in order for "them" to get the picture. Until that happens, we will continue to see schools advertising for low paying technicians to take care of too many pianos, and we're going to continue to complain about it.

Wim