[CAUT] pushing pianos

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Jul 21 19:41:53 MDT 2010

OK there Alan -
You've had some interesting and funny replies, so let me be a bit of
a Debbie Downer.  WHY?  Why are you moving a (grand?) piano a long
distance on a dolly?  Why are you employing (?) a group of high
school students?  Do the kids have insurance?  Do you, or your
institution have insurance? Do their parents know?  I like Ron's
reply, but it should have looked more like this:

>Inadvisable. If there's ANY way not to, don't.
>
>If not:
>
>Supervise! Someone of legal age needs to be there to fill out the
>accident report paperwork.

  If there's ANY way not to, don't.

>Lid down, fall board closed. I know, but it's not necessarily
>obvious to high school kids, some of whom have likely never thought before.

  If there's ANY way not to, don't.

>No more than three touching the piano at any given time. Trade off
>as they get tired, with the rest of the crew over there out of the
>way. Steering and speed control by mob whim can quickly become the
>end of piano function as we know it. Also dangerous for the moving
>units, whether they understand that or not.

  If there's ANY way not to, don't.

And so on...

And, of course, if there is any chance at all of some calamitous
mishap, you should, obviously, have someone filming it.  There has to
be some good to come out of all this.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY