[CAUT] pushing pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 21 11:10:33 MDT 2010

reggaepass at aol.com wrote:
> In a few days, I will be moving a piano on a stage dolly a long distance
> with a group of high school piano students.  We are not turning it on
> its side on a skid board, but simply pushing it.  What collective wisdom
> should I be to impart to these impressionable youths about how the do-s
> and don't-s of pushing around pianos?

Inadvisable. If there's ANY way not to, don't.

If not:

Supervise! Someone of legal age needs to be there to fill out
the accident report paperwork.

Lid down, fall board closed. I know, but it's not necessarily
obvious to high school kids, some of whom have likely never
thought before.

No more than three touching the piano at any given time. Trade
off as they get tired, with the rest of the crew over there
out of the way. Steering and speed control by mob whim can
quickly become the end of piano function as we know it. Also
dangerous for the moving units, whether they understand that
or not.

Walking speed is at least twice as fast as you ought to be
going. Enforce it.

Approaching thresholds, expansion joints, or any surface
discontinuity, they will universally attempt to speed up and
jump it. If you could find someone foolish enough to bet
against it, you could make some easy money. The problem is
that dollies don't jump obstacles. Make them slow down
instead. Taze one periodically if necessary.

Lyre clearance - lyre clearance - lyre clearance etc.

There's more, but I'm starting to get the shakes...
Ron N