[CAUT] [pianotech] Are we fading?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jul 7 15:00:31 MDT 2010

Hi Ed,

I think our profession, on the big scale, is slowly dwindling like the
piano industry as a whole. My chapter here in Nebraska, is probably about
an average of my age (nearing 50) or better (at least those who come to
the meetings), but we have two budding students who are charged up about
the future possibilities!

We need to recruit more young folks who want to continue in our footsteps.
I, for one, am going to teach my 13 year old to rebush keys this summer so
he can make some cash., but he hasn't shown interest in doing what I do
for a career.

I wish I had the time to properly train some new blood as I have 110
pianos to care for, so lots to learn from. The university is always
willing to get free "help", at least on the upright practice room pianos.
The down side for me is that I have to immediately go and correct all the
mistakes :>( as they learn;  so the 2 sided coin....heads I win, tails you
lose. or the other way around, I should say.

We only offer a one semester class on the basics of piano mechanics in
which I have an average of 3 or 4 students just looking for a small bit of
education to learn of the instruments they play. Most of my students are
not even piano majors, but filling up an elective as it's a cool class.
They're always very enthusiastic in class, but at the end of the semester,
that's all they do.  Sadly, and I think it should be manditory, that all
piano majors take my class; but, then again, I don't have the time to
teach that many students.

It may be a problem in the next 10 years, however, the income
possibilities may be huge for the new blood entering this field.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul