[CAUT] Friday puzzler

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 07:54:47 MDT 2010

Paul said;  But WHY did this action behave before I took the stack off the
first time to raise up all the sharps as they were too low?  This is a
natural key which had nothing done other than raise up the blow distance a
bit? Why I always get the weird stuff is beyond me!

Didn't you also add more punchings under the sharp to correct the key dip?
If keytops were replaced without dimensioning the key to retain the original
thickness, the whites will hit the front rail punchings on the sharps before
it completes the keystroke. That could be why the sharps were low in the
first place.

The other thing is placement of stack. If the magic lines aren't right on,
the capstan wears a divot in the whip heel. If the stack was jammed forwards
by a mm or two, the wear pattern could hangup the key on the wippen. Loosen
the screws and tap the bracket back to seat in place on the keyframe. Check
for debris that could have fallen between the frame and stack.

Keith Roberts