[CAUT] [pianotech] Riblets

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Feb 26 10:50:10 MST 2010

Andrew Anderson wrote:
> The school whose Steinways I service would like to ameliorate the poor
> balance between bass and treble in their D.  This D was a really weak
> treble.  Voicing the hammers up makes for a harsh attack but doesn't
> seem to address power.
>
> Could someone who has utilized riblets on a S&S D comment on their
> experience.

I haven't dried riblets on a D, but I know of a couple of
instances where it was tried, and heard one of them first
hand. The consensus was that it was somewhat less bad, but not
really better. Still, it's worth a try for the price of making
a couple. I think the belly rail, unsupported through the top
half of the scale by other than the "little stick", offers
more potential, however. Pianotek sells a turnbuckle adjusted
brace that will likely help more than riblets.

Or if you'd like a more extensive modification...
Ron N