[CAUT] back checks

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 26 10:07:12 MST 2010

back checksHi David,
Even if they do screw off, the predrilled backchecks might not fit the wires. I have one of these Es in my clientele, but I won't have a chance to inspect the backchecks any time soon.

Lovely instrument, except that tuning the bass scares me to death. Several single unisons have been broken (two under my own hand), and they all feel like they could pop with the next budge of the pin.  There's nothing scarier than the sound and action of a long double-wound string breaking, and I almost want to buy a motorcycle helmet and shield when I tune that piano. The way the front understring felt is on the Bechstein, you can't put a knot in the string above the agraffe without ripping the felt to shreds, so I've had to have them duplicated, which leaves those notes out of tune more than in.
Jeff