[CAUT] Non-440 tuning request

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Sun Feb 21 14:49:32 MST 2010

Some would say, the benefit is an impression of increased intensity. That's why 19th-century American band instruments were commonly made at high pitch. For pipe organs, a half-step higher than normal saves money, since the lowest pipe of each rank can use as much material as the top couple of octaves. Specific to Vienna, the Institut fuer Wiener Klangstil is investigating this question of pitch, but mainly it's a tradition and Viennese orchestras are notoriously conservative.
Laurence