[CAUT] Non-440 tuning request

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Feb 21 09:01:14 MST 2010

Jeff,
Some good questions and a very good reply from Fred Sturm, but I have
some observations and questions too.
You present the situation in the vaguest of terms:
- "a chamber group of some sort".  Lexington High School wind
ensemble?  Boston Chamber Players?  Tashi? Vienna?
- " they routinely play at 441 or 442".  Well, which is it?  If
they're so particular, they must know.
- The piano seems to be a Steinway D, but the venue is
unspecified.  Concert hall?  School?  Someone's home?  Who is in
charge of the piano?  and who is responsible for paying?
- The piano had not been tuned since October.   While you humidity
isn't as low as what we have now in the northeast - regularly below
14%, (within the accuracy tolerances of Pianotek's current offering),
you still had to do some sort of pitch raise, so whether to 440 or
441 (region) shouldn't make all that much difference.

While the only political pressure to actually lower pitch standard to
below 440 is coming from outer fringe elements, my sense of current
'standard' is between 440 and 442, however, I've heard stories
recently that suggest that such stated standards may not always
reflect reality, even from the initial tuning.  There's a lot of
psychology and insecurity at work here.

Just make sure you're paid and that someone else is responsible.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY