[CAUT] Hammer-Lac

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 16:22:44 MST 2010

Steinway has their finishes and "hammer juice" manufactured by Wurdack Industries in St. Louis, Missouri.  I was looking for "Steinway Gold" for the plate and happened upon this company.  I also obtained the black lacquer Steinway used for their ebony finished pianos.  And, yes it is different from other black lacquers, or so I'm told.  When talking with the people at Wurdack, it is a small family owned/operated company, I was asked if I wanted some "hammer juice".  It comes in one gallon cans and my guess is that it is pre-diluted and ready to go right out of the can.  I have yet to open the can since I have no new hammers and with the state budget the way it is I probably won't for some time.   Anyway, Wurdack also custom makes finishes and that leads to this point.
They make the stuff for Steinway and keep some on hand for small orders for refinishers, etc.  So they may be out or have a limited supply and you might have to wait a few weeks for your order.  Their website is www.wurdack.com.  Walter Wurdack Inc. | 4977 Fyler Ave. St. Louis, MO 63139,  phone is 314.351.6600 | FAX 314.351.5617 | info at wurdack.com

Henry Nicolaides
Piano Technician, School of Music
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, Illinois 62901