[CAUT] harpsichord questions

D Marie Jones sustainablefutures at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 07:32:41 MST 2010

Hi Richard,
Thank you very much.  Your information is quite helpful.  take care-----d

D Marie Jones, RPT Kalamazoo College 269-383-0620 269-806-4067 (cell)

From: rwest1 at unl.edu
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:18:02 -0600
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] harpsichord questions

I think the most overlooked aspect of harpsichord string replacement is the angle of the string from the nut (capo) to the tuning pin.  The string has to end up being low enough to make good contact with the nut, but not so low as to put a severe angle from the nut to the tuning pin.  The trick is to have several tight coils at the top of the pin to hold the wire to the pin via friction.  Then the coils can be stretched out to bring the string down the tuning pin to the proper height relative to the nut.  After the pin is driven in, the string should not be too low. A good way to tell if you have the string right is that it will be roughly the same height as its neighbors.  The angle of the wire from the pin to the nut will be relatively shallow.
I use the end of the black keys as a measure for the correct length of wire before coiling it on the pin.  In other words I've made the hitch pin loop and I have the string on the hitch pin.  I pull the string taut, and use the front end of the black key as a reference to cut the string.  That leaves a good length of wire to make a nice number of coils.
If you have a good custom-made instrument, just duplicate what's there.  If your string is indistinguishable from the originals, then you've done okay.
Richard West

On Feb 17, 2010, at 11:04 AM, D Marie Jones wrote:Hi everyone,
Thank you for the detailed comments and resources.  I meet the harpsichord in a few weeks & I'll be sure to write back with any adventures & further questions.
And, thank you Fred for the insightful details.  take care.
all the best---D

D Marie Jones, RPTKalamazoo College 269-383-0620 269-806-4067 (cell)