[CAUT] locked practice rooms

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Feb 12 07:59:04 MST 2010

Our system at UNM is similar to Dave's. Key swipe access to the doors
leading into the area, then key locked grand piano rooms (and
percussion and some other). The key swipe doors are held closed by
electromagnets. WHen the fire alarm is activated, they automatically
are unlocked.
	For events where a lot of people need to use practice rooms, we
usually have someone posted at one of the key swipe doors for the
duration - work study or volunteer. If access to key locked rooms is
needed, they are simply left unlocked for the duration. Upright
practice rooms are always unlocked.
	Our key swipe doors were installed for personal safety reasons, as we
had vagrants camping out nights and weekends, and students were
rightly disturbed.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico