[CAUT] Birkett videos online

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 11 14:53:24 MST 2010

This is what Weinreich's often-cited paper discusses.
Jim Ellis (PTJournal, Fall 1982) states that piano unisons will tend to
couple in out-of-phase relationship, as we see in the video.
If I understand Capleton correctly, all unisons couple when they are within
some critical frequency band (and this band will vary for different
partials), and, once two string of a unison have coupled, the third string
will be drawn into coupling at a greater distance than that between the
first two. This may be what we are seeing in the video of C64, where two
strings seem to move in phase and the third is parallel, out of phase. They
all seem in phase at the start, them the treble-most string begins to
wander. Once it is exactly out of phase, it appears to "lock in."

Ed S.