[CAUT] Steam explosion

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Feb 11 06:53:12 MST 2010

I would be concerned about glue joints failing. Of course, the finish is
shot.  If the room stood wet for several days, then so did the piano.

Paul

From:
denisikeler at aol.com
To:
caut at ptg.org
Date:
02/11/2010 07:44 AM
Subject:
[CAUT] Steam explosion

Hello list,

Got a call from a music teacher from an elementary school.  Sometime
between Christmas and New Years a radiator blew in his classroom.  The
whole classroom was steamed hard and wet.  Everything hanging on the walls
were wet, ceiling tiles were all warped.  The piano involved was a mid
90's P22.  It was at the opposite side of the room.  The finish looks like
it was scalded with boiling water.  Other than that, it seems OK.  All the
unisons were solid, just a little flat which is normal for this time of
year.  There are no pressure ridges on the soundboard.

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on any long term damage that
might show up later.  My thinking is, that the steam heat explosion thing
was short.  Only long enough to release all the pressure from the boiler
system.  Because no one was around between the holidays, the room stood
wet for several days.

The piano sounds perfectly normal.

Have anybody on the list had a simalar situation?

 Denis