[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 10 22:02:49 MST 2010

Ed Foote wrote:

> (and as an aside to Ron;  the angle of the tuning tip is low enough to
> create the same results that are had with a stringing hook pulling
> almost parallel with the string plane, so I don't register the vector as
> going into the bridge.

If it was the same, I wouldn't have mentioned it. It's not.
Pulling at a 10° up angle (which is about what it tends to be)
to a 20° pin leaning away from the pull still makes slight
down angle vector on the bridge (discounting friction).
Pushing at a 10° down angle (which is going to be about right
with a tuning tip) results in much larger down vector on the
bridge, since you're adding vectors instead of subtracting -
unless you're pulling the action and doing it from underneath.
While it's likely as harmless as pushing down on the string
with your thumbnail, you're still seating the string to some
degree.

> Even so, the force needed to dent a bridge is
> more than I find necessary to straighten the bend.  I can apply enough
> force with the hammer held at arm's length in an arthritic wrist without
> getting off the bench, so it ain't a lot of force we are talking about,
> more than it takes for repetition springs, but far less than it takes to
> space a wire under the capo.)

I understand. I'm questioning whether it's string
straightening, or seating. I know it takes a pretty firm pull
with a string hook to bend the string, and much much less to
gently seat it. If you're judging results tonally and
presuming it's from string straightening, there are
indications otherwise. In any case, it's causing no harm.

Ron N