[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Feb 10 18:33:52 MST 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 1:57 PM, paulrevenkojones at aol.com wrote:

>  My question has more to do with actual cause and actual effect and
> the relationship of the two. I don't believe you're imagining
> anything any more than I know that I'm not when I experience the
> same thing. Our attempts to describe what actually happens to the
> string and the termination as cause/effect are on-going? We can
> certainly say that the string has a different shape, and that we
> experience a tonal difference, but is it simply a string condition
> difference? That's my question.

	My take is that it has to do with the distortion of the string being
reflected back "at the bridge pin." The standard model of what happens
when a hammer strikes a string is that a distortion is propagated
along the string toward the bridge, then reflected back (actually two
distortions, one of which goes back to the capo or whatever, but let's
keep it simpler). Let's suppose the string was just pulled through the
bridge with no massaging, and that a curvature extends in front of the
bridge pin. The distortion of the string arrives, and there is, shall
we say, ambiguity about where the string ends and the bridge (or pin
or bridge plus pin) begins. The reflection backwards is diffused,
parts happening sooner, parts later. Also, the impulse hitting the pin
is diffused, less periodic than desired (especially after a few back
and forth reflections). Adding the bend gives more geometric
definition to the termination, hence a more precise and periodic
impulse hitting the bridge/pin.
	Of course, it is never simple, and the closer you hone in, the less
simple it becomes. The string's impulse/distortion never actually
reflects at the tangent of the pin. It reflects behind it (the string,
from a functional point of view, extends from somewhere toward the
back side of the bridge pin to somewhere beyond the capo or agraffe
tangent point). So we shouldn't think we are really making something
_precise_ when we make a positive bend. We simply make it somewhat
more precise. We also perhaps reduce the degree to which the vibration
travels beyond the front and back _terminations_ by making the wire
stiffer at that point (the work hardening caused by bending).
	Anyway, this seems to me to kind of explain the way in which the
pitch and tone color becomes more focused following making those
bends. That's how I picture it to myself, and I haven't yet heard
something to make me believe differently. But maybe someone else has a
different take.
	BTW, I wonder if making positive bends on both sides of the bridge
might reduce the tendency of string to pass back and forth over the
bridge. Perhaps a little.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico