[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 07:35:04 MST 2010

 Ed S. writes:

Consider that it is easy to bend or dent wire, and virtually impossible to remove the bend or dent once it has been made. What might we be doing to the wire with multiple pitch adjustments, tappings and tuggings and so on? At the same time consider that the amount of wire travel may be very slight. Are we perhaps thinning the wire at the termination, making a sort of neck?

 Heck yea, we are thinning the wire at the bridge pin. I think that is necessary to bend it around the pin  in the first place.  As far as being detrimental to tone or durability, I haven't found that to be the case.  I find the tone improves, and have never in my life seen a string break at the bridge pin. I did have two strings in a new Steinway L break at the hitch pin! Not while tuning, but while the pianist was playing.  Never figured out how that was caused, but given that the tension back there will never be has high as the tension at the coil, it must have been either defective material, (which is improbable since there were two strings that broke in the same spot), or stringer's error, (which some people would deny could exist at the factory).

 Regards,

Ed Foote RPT