[CAUT] Advice for achieving stability sooner?

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 20:40:19 MST 2010

In a message dated 2/7/2010 9:36:45 P.M. Central Standard Time,
a440a at aol.com writes:

Greetings,

I wrote:
>>I would think that a 40 cent raise would be  pulling new wire around the
bridge pins,(especially in a new piano that has  sat for a year at that low
pitch).
Paul writes:

This may or may not be true. Jim Ellis suggests through his  demonstrated
research that strings don't begin to render on the bridge  top unless more
than 50 cents is added to the pitch. 40 or 50 in this case  might make no
difference. Just a thought.

I can see the  logic of the above inre a stable piano that is near pitch,
but consider that  the starting pitch will determine how much tension must be
added to move the  slack out of the backstring into the speaking length: to
wit, (since I am  already half way there...), the looser the string, the
less tension is  required to overcome the friction of the bridge and bridge
pins.  Once  the string is at pitch, you almost have to break the string
before the pitch  of the backstring changes with added tension from the tuning
pin. On a new  piano, the backstring just might have a fair amount of slack in
it from the  bend at the hitch pin resolving itself during the first year.
If  Diane is bringing up strings 40 cents, I would expect there to be some
measurable pitch change in the back string.  Easy to measure on the  grands
with the rear duplex.  Maybe less so on the uprights, as they  usually seem
to have much shorter backstrings.
Regards,

Ed Foote  RPT

Ed:

I totally agree with everything you say. The only difference I can see that
 would be germane would be the over-pitch pull as an additional tension
which  would probably overcome the "limit" that Ellis describes.

Thanks,

Paul