[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Feb 7 16:01:42 MST 2010

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions for achieving stability on the new Kawai UST-9's!

I am particularly fascinated with the idea of doing all the pitch raises first, then coming back to tune and doing all the tunings.  This is a good way of using my body efficiently, as the needs of the tuning and the pitch raise are different.  Also, the timing couldn’t be better for this approach (you must all be musicians!), because next weekend is a four day weekend with no classes so I will have excellent access.

I am also grateful for the advice to not tap the strings on the bridge—I didn’t want to do that, but was grasping at straws, trying to find a way to get those pianos sounding good.

For all of you, who are worrying about my personal welfare, ThankYou.  Financially I’m doing ok on this job.  After 32 years of tuning, I have finally found a GREAT College to work for.  They have high priorities for quality and I believe my competitive bid was the highest.   I also believe I have a colleague to thank for a great recommendation, as well as a year and a half tuning their Boesendorfer Imperial in the new music center as evidence I can tune.

Yesterday the security guard told me, that if the debate team tries to get back into the room, I should simply tell them to go to another building and find a room—the piano tuning is too important!

Diane Hofstetter