[CAUT] Advice for achieving stability sooner?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 7 09:29:33 MST 2010

Diane Hofstetter wrote:

> I'm considering doing less careful pitch raises, but doing
> two of them before I try to tune.  Have also wondered about
> tapping strings on bridges.

Please don't seat the strings on the bridges. It won't help a
thing, and will likely cause damage. What's needed here is
reality, not magic. The pianos are just at least four tunings
behind the curve (environmental factors notwithstanding) for
new instruments. Haul them all up to pitch, overshoot as
necessary, leaving them even a bit sharp. Give it a couple of
days, then start tuning. Tune them again in April (they'll
need it, this is catch-up), and go from there to a typical
twice a year tuning at the worst possible time in the seasonal
cycles. By the time another year passes, they shouldn't be
significantly worse than anything else in the system.

Ron N