[CAUT] Artist Benches

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Fri Feb 5 12:16:13 MST 2010

Yesterday I received an artist bench, Schaff No. 4990, page 24, that I
ordered to check out.  I ordered it because the price was about 1/2 that of
a Jansen bench, we are under some severe budget constraints, and ideally we
need 4 artist benches at a minimum.  Unfortunately, I¹m not happy because
the bench top wobbles on the frame.  I didn¹t expect this in a new bench,
even a less expensive one.  Am I expecting too much?  Do they all wobble
from side-to-side?  Do I really have to pay $650 to get one that doesn¹t?
Why does that central threaded rod have to have so much play where it meets
washers, etc., on each side?  BTW, on the outside of the box someone had
written ³Poeschl.²  I thought they were supposed to be pretty good benches?

Actually, I¹ve sat on a couple of the petite artist benches (may or may not
have been Schaff product), and they didn¹t wobble at all.  So I¹m a little
confused.  Don¹t have one to study, but wondering if they¹re the same
mechanism?  Actually, the ones I used might have been Yamaha...their
mechanism seemed to be very tight...are they the same as Schaff petites?

Any suggestions or guidance will be much appreciated.  Should I send this
bench back?  I¹m under some time constraints!
--
Paul Milesi, RPT
Staff Piano Technician