[CAUT] Slipping Beckets

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 17:10:42 MST 2010

Albert wrote"

In most respects I really like Diamond    brand tuning pins, especially their consistency in size.     However, since I began restringing pianos with them, I have had to replace    anywhere from one to six treble strings per piano because beckets have    slipped.  I've never had this happen before, and I'm wondering whether    anyone else has had a similar experience.

  I suggest that there is something other than a friction problem.  The only time I have had a becket slip was when I didn't form an acute angle at the bend, or began turning the pin with the becket half-way out. .  I don't see any way a becket can slip out if it is bent sharply at the hole, unless, as Del said, the hole is way too big.  The larger hole allows the exit angle to be less than 90 degrees.  If sharply bent, and laying against the side of the pin when rotation begins, the becket would have to back out against the force of the coil, or the wire would have to flow around the corner.  I have never seen that happen.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT