[CAUT] Restricting piano movement

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 1 14:18:59 MST 2010

Thanks, all, for your comments. The main challenge we face is a
Steinway B on a very small, low stage with a screen between it and
the whiteboard on the wall. The room is used for quite a variety of
purposes. The complaint was that the piano is sometimes shoved into
the screen, damaging the screen. It also would be unfortunate to have
the piano go off the stage, though this has never happened, to my
amazement. It is currently on the double-rubber 2" casters, which
work very well, except for this special issue.

The suggestion has been made to post a respectful sign articulating
the problem and asking for care in moving the piano. That might
actually work, here, but I have my doubts, so I persist in dreaming
up ideas.

I've considered anchoring a ring in the floor under the piano and
fastening a strap (cable) between it and the three legs/casters with
enough slack to allow movement, but disallow screen damage. That
would keep the hardware out from underfoot at all times, unlike a
barrier outside the piano.

But then time is so limited that anything substantive is unlikely to
happen. The level of discontent is likely insufficient until some
actual damage occurs. I'll post if we do other than a sign.

The other problem relates to caster damage to the floor.
Unfortunately, we do not own the piano in that room. Not yet, at
least. My efforts are focused on getting a good piano that we own in
there.

Doug