[CAUT] damper touch weight - head-weight preference?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 23 06:44:23 MST 2010

On 12/20/2010 9:28 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> On 12/20/2010 9:19 AM, David Skolnik wrote:
>> Thanks Rn, I'll buy it, though I do wonder about the inertial effects of
>> having that weight at the end of that wire. In theory, that 'compliance'
>> you speak of could be exacerbated (yea, I know) by the increased
>> resistance of the head weight.
>
> That's the point.
>
> Ron N

Sorry, I got sidetracked and didn't finish this.

As to damping, putting the mass in the head minimizes compliance between
the damper mass and the string. It's a more direct coupling than with
the mass in the under lever. It may be a problem in the power stroke if
the mass is high, guide bushing loose, or wire bends extreme, but for
damping, it's ideal.
Ron N