[CAUT] damper touch weight - head-weight preference?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 20 07:46:47 MST 2010

On 12/20/2010 8:04 AM, David Skolnik wrote:
> Del -
> The reason is probably obvious, but the mind rebels. Why?
> David Skolnik
> Hastings on Hudson, NY
>

> At 09:06 PM 12/10/2010, you wrote:
>> And you'll find the dampers will work better with less overall weight
>> if you
>> put it all up in the damper heads and take it all out of the levers.
>>
>> ddf

A couple of reasons, short version. With the vertical excursion of the
string, the bends in the wire provide some compliance that reduces the
effectiveness of the weight in the under lever. Then, the horizontal
component of the string excursion isn't served at all by the weighted
under lever. Put the lead in the head (yea, I know), and the mass more
efficiently couples to the strings.

Ron N