[CAUT] FW: WiTTmayer Harpsichord

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 18 15:02:49 MST 2010

Having had to tussle with these beasts, Fred  expresses my view of them exactly.
Wittmayer was one of several German makers who tried to 'improve' the
harpsichord. Thankfully, some changed their ways later, while others went out of
business. Zuckerman rightly excoriated them in 'The Modern Harpsichord' and may
have been a factor in getting a few, like Sassman to change their ways. He
praises fine American makers, such as Dowd, but treads softly where John
Challis, who was much more radical, is concerned. Probably the worst  example
was Sabbatil of Vancouver , Canada, but they did change eventually. I underwent
some very unpleasant experiences with them. One time, the dean at the university
where I worked had purchased a large Nuepert double, without checking with me.
Nobody used it, and he fobbed off the job on me of trying to sell it to a high
profile organist, who arrived from out of town with a friend, also an organist
for a large cathedral. I knew him and also knew he owned a fine harpsichord.
After seeing the instrument, it wasn't hard to tell their feelings. One asked
me, " What is your opinion of the harpsichord"? with a look that plainly said
they were sizing me up. I replied "It's a monstrosity, and I strongly recommend
you do not purchase it". I would probably have been fired if the dean had found
out. But I simply could not bring myself to have done otherwise.

Ted Sambell