[CAUT] Rzewski forearm smash

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Dec 16 15:24:35 MST 2010

I don't pound hard at all when I tune.  It's not ffff, but mearly an mf to
f.  There's no reason to pound on the piano at all.  I've used the forearm
smash, but conservatively.  Sure with the pedal down, this will expose
your tuning mistakes, but that's all you need. Then you set the pin
correctly, and your good to go.  Now hundreds, if not thousand or 2 of
important concert tunings, and never a complaint yet! ( oh yeah, just one,
but he was a major DIVA!)

When Steve Brady demonstrates this technique, he doesn't get on top of the
piano and smashes it!!!  He pushes the damper pedal down, and "smashes" it
at about forte or maybe FF.  No pounding is ever needed.  It's just not
good for the piano or your ego.

Best,
Paul