[CAUT] Rzewski forearm smash

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 16 14:48:54 MST 2010

On 12/16/2010 1:23 PM, David Love wrote:
> Can you explain why a “smash” would be more stabilizing than a normal
> test blow? How do you know that the smash didn’t destabilize the pitch
> so that the next time you hit the note it won’t go out of tune? It’s
> counterproductive. Once the pin and the string segments are in
> equilibrium or stasis no further smashing of the piano will make them
> more stable.
>
> David Love

This appears to be a variant of the way too common misinterpretation of
"pounding". Jim's description seems to be of the most common. It's not a
tuning technique, or shouldn't be. It's a test of the tuning technique
that got you to this test. I almost said something about it a few days
ago when someone mentioned pounding a tuning in. That's exactly the
wrong approach. You don't pound a tuning in. Any pounding done is an
attempt to knock the tuning out, to find out how you did. It's a small
flash of light into a big dark place, that might just tell you something
important. The "smash" doesn't stabilize a piano, it's just a committee
test blow after the fact. It also won't destabilize pitch any more than
a test blow does, and won't cause a note to go out of tune the next time
it's played any more than will a test blow. It's a diagnostic tool that,
like a test blow, is one of the very very few indicators we have of how
close we got to equalizing segment tensions during the tunings.

Ron N