[CAUT] Reality check...Big Time!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Dec 10 15:28:11 MST 2010

Wow, after going to one of our Vise Chancellors house today for a private
tuning, I'm really glad to have my job in the School of Music.  I forgot
just how ugly Whitney spinets are especially when not tuned for many years
(in Nebraska weather).  The chancellors wife "thought" maybe it had been 4
or 5 years since tuning, but a quick check on the tuning fork says over
1/2 step flat! I remember my mentor, Steve Brady, saying if the customer
can't remember how long it's been, double what they say!! :>(

  Every key rattles and buzzes and plays like garbage!!  Since it is for a
Univ. party with our Dean playing, I agreed to just tune it for my usual
discounted faculty fee.  Really bad idea!  I left the shop at 12:30 and
here it is, 4:30 just back!!  Why oh why did I get myself into this one.
All I did was quick PR and tune and fill follow up with a warning to the
Dean!

I now remember how horrible spinets are and won't tune one again, unless
I'm laid off and have to go back to the self employed status.  Even makes
our icky 1098's look pretty nice!

How spoiled we get with a decent inventory that are all kept up!

Remember this you folks!

Paul