[CAUT] damper touch weight

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Fri Dec 10 13:53:30 MST 2010

Hi Fred,

Another good subject.  I've a memory of some famous pianist saying
the soul of the piano was in the sustain pedal...  Horowitz?
Measuring Damper up and down weight allows for calculation of Damper
Friction weight which will point you in the direction of any problems
with damper flange friction and guide rail friction.  The Damper BW
will also show inconsistencies..  Whenever I install new damper
actions I measure Damper Under Lever weight by tipping the lever on a
roller bearing and resting the front of the lever on the digital
scale.  I also measure the weight of the damper felt/head/wire and
add it to the underlever weight and graph it out to look for bumps in
the scale which I smooth out by adding weight to the damper heads.
The break area is often a trouble spot.  Lot's of variations in
damper weights between/within manufacturers/makes.  It's another area
of refinement... it all adds up to enhancing the magic.

I use a roller bearings on the pivot and damper end of my 1:1 jig.

Regards,

David Stanwood