[CAUT] damper touch weight

Cramer, Mark Cramer at BrandonU.CA
Fri Dec 10 10:53:57 MST 2010

Good jig-making Fred, I hesitate to think what you could build with a full day off! :>)

I'm at the Banff Centre until the 18th, where we have a 1920's Mason & Hamlin A, pretty much identical to another one I have back in Manitoba.

Both have damper systems that seem overly stiff, to the point if you don't take the pedal to bottom, encountering the underlevers at escapement pretty much rules out any chance of pianissimo notes sounding. Needless to say, there is no benefit regulating damper lift for anything earlier than 1/2 of hammer travel with these actions. (pedal and tray springs are also overly stiff.)

So the other night I pulled the damper action on this one and weighed underlevers with and without springs, by resting them horizontally on a digital scale. I measured 25 -30g w/springs and 14g to 11g w/o. Roughly speaking, the difference between 3 leads or 2 in a lever was about 2 grams, so between regulating springs and leading pattern, it should be fairly easy to taper damper sytem resistance to match the keyboard.

It's good you mentioned tri-chord resistance, and there is also the matter of mass with partial dampers at the break. But before I go over complexifying things here, I think it's just good that the "forgotten" action is actually being considered as a significant component of piano touch.

With practice, it's possible to remove the dampers & d.action, clean, treat friction, check centre-pins, tighten leads, treat wires and guide rail, re-install and time lift, in the time it takes to do a normal tuning call (1.5 -2h). Most pianos will be getting this "day-spa" treatment for the very first time, and even new pianos will feel remarkably better as a result.

As for the Mason, the damper-lever springs actually seem to have gone missing!(?) My conscience can live with that. ;>) The trap springs were also shimmed/tilted with a couple thick cardboard punchings to reduced pedal resistance. Now the intrument plays quite nicely, and I can hardly wait to give my Mason back home the same treatment!

best regards,
Mark Cramer, RPT
Brandon University
The Banff Centre for the Arts