[CAUT] strange rib damage

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 09:06:47 MST 2010

And, yes the board is more heavily loaded at the upper end and the bridge
does some work to distribute the load.  Were you to plot the stiffness
coefficient of the ribs themselves it might look something like this.  X
axis are the rib #s and the y axis represents stiffness.  Number 1 rib is
the bass end, of course.  Even though the #14 rib is smaller in cross
section than, say #6 rib, it is much shorter and so therefore is much
stiffer.

In terms of the question at hand, in order for the board to deflect enough
to crack the rib as it was pictured you likely wouldn't be able to achieve
that level of deflection without doing some serious damage to the panel
itself in the treble end.  Even if the panel wasn't dried down enough (one
suggestion) the amount of change in the crown radius that might take place
seems hardly enough to crack that rib like that.  Thus my guess that the rib
was already damaged when installed.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com