[CAUT] F..riction

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 10:45:00 MST 2010

David writes:
>>  A smooth FW curve and smooth SW curve in which the BW is allowed to
float can easily produce irregularities of a couple of grams.  What is
more perceptible, BW differences or FW weight differences that result
in differences in inertia?  Rhetorical question really as I think it's
pretty difficult to answer but one may find oneself in the position of
having to make the choice or compromise both a little bit.  In reality,
it may be much ado about nothing.  <<

  I think by "scattering" the irregularities around, they disappear.
So, I begin with a smooth FW and SW, coupled by samples through the 88
keys to arrive at values for both that keep me within bounds of the BW
I am looking for.  Upon assembly, I always find that there are some
notes that simply don't fall into line with the DW, so for those that
are too heavy(DW), I touch off a little bit of the hammer(belt sander
on the sides), and for those that are too light, I use a 1/4" drill to
remove a bit of lead from the most proximal keylead.  This leaves me
with near perfect DW and pianists have always felt that the actions
done like this are extremely even.
     I also scatter the regulation to create exactly even aftertouch.
This is done by allowing keydip to vary by .010" and also raising or
lowering the hammer by as much as a mm or so. I keep the let-off and
drop as consistent as I can possibly set it.  I also use much softer
springing than any of the factory actions I see.
  This approach is difficult to use on a production line, but put
together generally puts the pianists totally at ease with the control.
I, and my ears, are getting older.  I don't voice as well as I used to,
but a really killer regulation will make up for some of that.  Mischa
Dicter (sp?) once remarked about my action that "There is a little bit
of voicing irregularity there in the fifth octave, but with an action
like that it is no problem".  ( He actually believed it was a specially
prepared piano that had been sent from Atlanta, and at first said that
"Ron really did a great job on that one!)

Ed Foote