[CAUT] F..riction

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Dec 2 09:22:52 MST 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 5:39 AM, James Patrick Draine wrote:

>  Your description may be 100% accurate for all I know, but they did
> indicate "it an't as easy as you think",

	I don't believe my description is anywhere near 100% accurate. It is
very much abbreviated, but covers, I think, the basic principle: that
the wool must be re-felted and made denser after it is drawn into the
hole. This is done at least partly through wetting under pressure, the
pressure provided by the sizing pins and the swelling of the fibers.
Some may use heat. Some may do more than one sizing. Some may have a
burnishing process. If anyone wants to share some of those details,
I'd love to see them.
	In any case, my point was to contrast it with what a technician may
do in the field, and to get people thinking about felt density as
opposed to simply friction as the criterion for whether a bushing is
up to spec or not. I believe density is more important than friction,
and that friction is an indicator that should be looked at with
skepticism.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu