[CAUT] F..riction

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 1 18:53:39 MST 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 9:48 AM, Don Mannino wrote:

> So to clarify, I don't believe the low friction causes the tone
> change so much, but the lack of control in the bushing that low
> friction can cause.  That's why I mentioned earlier that I like the
> sound of well fitted Teflon actions.  They can have almost no
> measureable friction, but still sound great.

	I concur with Don, that it is firmness of the bushings that leads to
the tonal impact of repinning more tightly, not the friction. I think
it is important when pinning to keep those two aspects in mind at all
times: we measure our pinning by friction, but that is by no means the
whole story, and possibly not the most important part of the story.
	Let me illustrate by two center bushing scenarios. First, what the
factory does (and Don, please correct me or amplify as needed). They
start with bushing felt of a decent density, strip it and pull it
through the holes in the flange or shank. The stripping and pulling
process "unfelt" the wool to a considerable extent, though the fibers
are still pretty well aligned to one another. They install a sizing
pin and dip into a wetting agent, of which the active ingredient is
water. The water is absorbed by the wool fibers, which swell. Because
they are confined between the sizing pin and the wood, they are
compressed together. When they swell, their scales are lifted from
their surfaces to some extent (anyone have electron microscope photos
of swollen fibers? I have only seen photos of them dry). These scales
interlock to some extent, so that when the bushings are dried, the
wool has become more densely compacted, fairly permanently. If it is
exposed to higher humidity, the fibers will swell, and if dried they
will shrink, but the interlocking structure will stay the same. Then
the sizing pin is removed and parts are pinned together (and there may
be intermediate steps involving burnishing or a second sizing and
wetting, and Don can elucidate if he wishes).
	Second scenario, tech in the field rebushes a flange. Again felt of a
reasonable density is stripped and pulled through a hole and cut. The
result is a bushing that is "too tight" (too high a friction). Reamers
are used to remove some fibers until the target friction level is
reached. The parts are pinned together. They have a "correct friction
level" but they are unusably spongy. After the part has been played a
good bit, it needs to be repinned up a couple full sizes.
	This is to illustrate the problem of looking at bushings from the
perspective of friction. A couple other scenarios: verdigris. Too much
friction. Remove pin, ream a bit to achieve target friction, repin
parts. Result: correct friction but knocking bushings. "Asian flu":
frozen joint. Remove pin, ream and possibly burnish without adding
lubricant. Result: to get target friction, you end up with a spongy
joint.
	My own solution, which I have written about earlier on this list, is
to burnish vigorously enough to produce heat and (at least I think so)
felt the wool relatively permanently "iron" it. In this case I am
taking flanges that are too loose and all need to go up a half size.
But just putting in the half size larger gives too much friction.
Since we are talking about a .001" difference in pin size, I assume
the target is about .0005" different, that where I am is midway
between the two pins. Or, looked at another way, if I can compress the
felt by .0005", I will achieve the friction I want and have denser
felt than I started with, by a little bit. The alternative is to
remove felt. If I remove felt, I might very well remove a little too
much, and after a little play the flange would return to its original
condition. And since that is what I had found several times after
doing a repinning job (thinking I was doing great work), I prefer the
notion of compacting that little bit, if possible. If not, I remove
the absolute bare minimum of felt fibers. Lots of vigorous burnishing,
very little reaming. I am more concerned with felt density that with
hitting a specific target friction level (though I do want to hit a
window that is functional).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu