[CAUT] CAUT Fortepiano for University

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 31 19:18:59 MDT 2010

  Hi Robert, excellent reply and summation. I hadn't even thought of any
other option other than a Viennese action, I guess a Cristofori copy or
an English action would be possible but not very useful <g> I can attest
to the quality of McNulty, Regier and the Wolfs. There are variations in
building philosophy that might make a difference to the technician
(individual backchecks, let off adjustments etc)  but not to the
performer unless you have a 'more authentic than thou' contest. Levin,
Bilson and Breitman are great musicians as well as early piano advocates
and having someone like that introduce the piano really gives it instant
credibility. I remember hearing Seth and Maryse Carlin inaugurate a Wolf
piano at Duke and it just set it apart as something special right from
the beginning. Kind and range of the instrument needs to be a faculty
decision, what period do they want to emphasize, Schubert or CPE Bach,
do you really need a bassoon stop or Turkish effects, beyond that think
about the finish and how you will protect it. These are not just black
lacquer boxes but carefully veneered and decorated pieces of highest
quality furniture.

--Dave
     New Orleans