[CAUT] Fortepiano for University

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 31 07:48:52 MDT 2010

My impression is that the finest harpsichords and fortepianos need a personal owner/protector, who uses them regularly, understands what the instrument is meant to do, and makes sure regulation is up-to-date.
(I can tell a very sad story of a fine, historic replica French double which was ruined by institutional treatment. A Zuckerbox and Challis harpsichords were tough enough to hang in there in the situation.)

A less-than-ultimate instrument may make a better stable horse, capable of surviving without a personal advocate.

Perhaps someone with more experience than me can comment on this relative to fortepianos. It seems to me pointless to buy a fine and delicate instrument if no one is there to understand and use it fully.

Ed Sutton